Sunday, April 12, 2009
The Way Dom SAW It
The way I see it, happiness is a factor controlled by the individual and the individual only. It is something that people often let others control or have control over. A wise woman once told me in a time of anger, "Dominique rarely give anybody the ability to anger you. For once that is done they have power over you." It wasn’t until I really sat down and thought about it, that I realized how very true she was. When we as people become involved in relationships with others, especially those that we become so fond of, a majority of our happiness becomes dependent on that other person. Thus, in the end destruction. Destruction because when that person is no longer around, we begin to experience feelings of being incomplete. There becomes a feeling of emptiness, a feeling of loneliness and ultimately a feeling of sadness. Hence there is not happiness present whatsoever. Happiness is one of the few things in life you have a second chance at. It is one of those things to where if it went wrong the first time it can definitely be changed and worked out again for the next time. However like said previously, it is up to the individual. No one else. Closing, happiness is in the hand of the being and whenever in doubt, just takes the next small step. Go with the flow and as always prepare for the most horrible, yet hope for the best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

There have been quite a few post on happiness but I think this one captures a small detail the other seem to be missing. The idea that happiness is a rarity in the fact you get a second chance or even a third or fourth chance to find it. One must realize that happiness can be lost and gained in an instant and it is always around, a person simply has to be willing to see it.
ReplyDeleteI think this relates to my group's "The Way I See It" on our original Starbucks cup. It talked about commitment and that being liberating. Our group qualified that however and said that commitment can only be liberating when the person, thing, or idea you are committed to helps you further yourself and reach you goals. I think you touched on this when you said your happiness should not depend on others that you're in a relationship with
ReplyDeleteI really like what you said, I think that there are so many people in this world who are so unhappy. But happiness is all around us, we just have to be open and allow ourselves to embrace this happiness. And I also wanted to tell you how much I agree with you, that once you let someone anger you, they have control over you. It's the truth, and something I need to learn.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very fine line to play around with. Becoming too dependent on someone else for happiness and then also being too independent that you can't open up to people for the fear of getting too close or hurt.
ReplyDelete